Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Training and Behavior < refresh >
Topic Title: how to get dog to stop licking hot spots?
Created On Thu July 30, 2009 7:39 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

orvis

Thu July 30, 2009 7:39 AM

My older male lab recently developed a "hot spot" on his leg...we think it may have been a scratch or something, that he developed a habit of licking. It became larger, and infected, so the vet prescribed antibiotics as well as a topical cream, and a lampshade collar. That was about 10 days ago-the wound is healed (though no hair grown back yet), antibiotics are done, it looks much better. However, when I try to remove the collar, the dog immediately starts licking again.

Any experience with this? Any advice on how to break this habit? The collar is on it's last legs-it's now cracked & mended with duct tape...and it's such a pain-I'll be glad to get rid of it. I just don't want this problem to recurr again immediately...between our 2 dogs, we spent $1000 at the vet last month. We have to figure out how to break this habit.

Bottom

Shiplesp

Thu July 30, 2009 7:56 AM

It's extremely common. It's called "lick granuloma." Here's a good handout of strategies for dealing with it:

http://www.dogleggs.com/files/articles/LickGranuloma_March2009.pdf

Good luck! Susan

Edited: Thu July 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM by Shiplesp

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Sun August 02, 2009 11:50 AM
User is offline View users profile

There used to be a bad tasting but harmless topical spray on anesthetic called americane i had some success with on surgical sites. i also believe that distract and rewarding for NOT licking is good and use that with my dogs now. Also suggest more more exercise if vet okays. Well exercised dogs are much less likely to get bored and lick or anxious and need to relieve by licking (two of the most common causes of lick granulomas). Don't let it become a habit is the biggest hurdle. Best of luck.

-------------------------
"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
Humans live mostly next door
in Desperate heart
Now and then will do you good
To live in our zip code."
Trixie Koontz (the dog) from A Little Big Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
Retrievergoldengurl
NOT A BRAD PATTISON FAN since bullies are cowards in my book.
NOT A DON SULLIVAN FAN since this system advocates muzzling to humble and pain to train all things, how do I explain that to my puppy?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Training and Behavior < refresh >

Navigation: