Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Training and Behavior < refresh >
Topic Title: is it pee or saliva? Mysterious anxiety puddles.
Created On Mon October 25, 2010 4:50 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

PhillyGSP

Mon October 25, 2010 4:50 AM

Hi friends,

Please help if you can:
We just moved from a rural area to the city and are having some trouble with our 7 year-old German Shorthair Pointer, Jeb. One of the problems (among many) is that when we wake up in the morning, Jeb will be surrounded by a mysterious pool of moisture. I can hear him fanatically licking all night, so this leaves us wondering: is it pee or saliva? It doesn't overtly smell like pee, and it's not yellow. But there is just SO MUCH of it.

I'm concerned that if it's pee, he's either taking out his anger by peeing or has a bladder problem. If it's saliva, he's doing some pretty intense anxiety licking.

How do you tell the difference between the two when the answer is not obvious? Would it even be possible for a dog to produce that much saliva? This morning I woke up to a puddle that soaked through to my MATTRESS. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks so much--I really appreciate any responses.

Bottom

Shiplesp

Mon October 25, 2010 6:27 AM

I know urine glows under a black light. I'm really not sure if saliva does too. You might want to find out. If it doesn't, you can buy or rent a black light (not expensive - they sell them in many pet supply places for locating urine marking) and find out.

If it's urine, you may be dealing with incontinence. (Please just discard the "anger" part of the equation - a dog isn't going to soil himself to punish you!) And that's a veterinary issue.

More concerning is the continual licking. This sounds like something that should be investigated medically, and possibly with a vet behaviorist. It may be a compulsion that may require medication and behavior modification.

Am I right in remembering that genetically pointers have a very high incidence of stress/OCD behaviors?

Susan

Bottom

Jackienmutts

Mon October 25, 2010 10:08 AM
User is offline View users profile

I agree with Susan in that if it's anxiety licking, your boy may need some help to overcome his stress and/or compulsion. But - just a sidenote, my Germ Shep boy sleeps on my bed with me, and that boy can drool a lagoon. I keep a sheet thrown over my bed for the dogs to lay on, but have had to start keeping two huge towels under the sheet where he lays to catch his drool, because, as you said, there was so much, at first I thought he had an incontinence issue (my bed would be soaked all the way thru to the mattress, also) - then I realized it was only him drooling while he slept.

Hope this helps make you feel better - you might just have a heavy drooler. Watch for small puddles under his face when he's napping/sleeping deeply, wherever he might be sleeping. But - I'd see if you can help your boy with the licking, as if he is licking that much, he does need help, and a good vet behaviorist can help with that.

-------------------------
Jackie.....and mutts
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience". Woodrow Wilson

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Training and Behavior < refresh >

Navigation: