Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > General Chat < refresh >
Topic Title: Dog broken Pelvis
Created On Fri September 29, 2006 8:13 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Lyta

Fri September 29, 2006 8:13 AM

Hi, I work with a dog shelter and we have a female dogwho was hit by a car a while ago...we took her to the vet and had her X-Rayed and she has a broken pelvis. I thought the vet would tell us she would need an operation to fix the pelvis.

The vet told us to keep her still and it will heal on its on.

Is this true? Does anyone have experience with this? Again I am not a vet I would just think you'd need an operation or a cast to fix a broken bone.

I mean she does seem to be doing better and she can actually sit down now, couldn't before.

Bottom

urge to herd

Fri September 29, 2006 2:38 PM

I've had 2 human friends who broke a pelvic bone. One had surgery, the other didn't. Both seemed to have healed fine.

It seems to me, (and I'm not a medical professional, veterinary or human) that it would depend on the location and severity of the break. The pelvic girdle is a complex set of bones and just knowing that it's a pelvic break isn't a whole lot of information.

You might want to see if the vet will give you a more complete explanation. My vet will give me as much info as I ask for, I've looked at all my dogs' x-rays and lab results and he's been very good about it.

Hope you find a more definitive answer, and glad the dog is doing better.

Ruth n the BC3

Bottom

Lyta

Fri September 29, 2006 3:12 PM

Yeah, I spoke to a co-worker today who has dogs and farm animals and she said the same thing...surgery would depend on several things: The severity of the break, where the break is located, and the age of the dog.

She said that young dogs have bones which sucture together up until 1.5 to 2 years of age (we believe this dog is young just from how immaculate her teeth look). She also went on to say that operating on some broken pelvis' can do more harm than good...they could insert a pin, but it could risk doing nerve damage. Not something one would want to do to a young dog, especially if the bone will simply knit back together on its own. However if it was an older dog, then they might recommend surgery...she also said it would be best if the dog were spayed simply because getting pregnant would expand that pelvic region causing pain (all our dogs get spayed/neutered, so I am not concerned about that).

I would still like to hear more from other people out there if possible, especially if there is anything to add.

Edited: Fri September 29, 2006 at 3:12 PM by Lyta

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > General Chat < refresh >

Navigation: