Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >
Topic Title: Anal gland leakage
Created On Thu February 16, 2006 12:59 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Pack leader

Thu February 16, 2006 12:59 PM

We adopted a 3 year old Golden Retriever 5 months ago who leaks a small amount of anal gland fluid, dime-sized to half dollar sized, several times a week, on our carpets and bedding. She has regular, well-formed bowel movements, does not "scoot" about or appear to have any discomfort in that area. We had her anal glands manually expressed by the vet once, but it happened again soon after. The former owner had the anal glands expressed by the groomer during her monthly visit.

Is there anything we can do to stop this rather stinky and messy problem?

Bottom

huskylove

Sun March 19, 2006 11:20 PM

What food are you feeding??

We had one of our Sibes have a problem quite similar. We'd nick name him juicy bung bung. It was gross though. At the time, we were feeding IAMS/Eukanuba brand foods. We also noticed other problems with the other 2 boys...coats were dry & blowing too frequently, toenails were actually cracked & pealing, 2 were having trouble gaining weight, 1 was having trouble losing weight, etc...

I decided to research dog food & completely swiched them over to a Holistic diet. While researching, I found out about how hard it is for dogs to digest or had allergic reactions to certain things like corn, wheat, soy, white rice, peas, peanuts (and hulls). Also found out about what is actually in commercial dogfoods...here's one of the article pages: http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/DogFood and read even further into other ingredients, at the time IAMS/Eukanuba used both onion powder & garlic powder in their foods too...here's a link to Onions & Garlic being toxic to dog's red blood cells: http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257#ct-4 And I just kept finding more & more information that lead me completely FAR away from kibble all together.

We now feed our Huskies only The Honest Kitchen dehydrated dogfood, very few brands of Holistic canned foods & all homemade foods for our dogs. They've never been healthier or happier. --And no more juicy bung bung. lol

Bottom

littlebuddy

Mon April 24, 2006 3:31 PM

my vet informed me that there is a procedure that can be done to remove these glands if they continue to be a problem. i don't know the name of the procedure but your vet should be able to help you out.

Bottom

urge to herd

Mon April 24, 2006 4:40 PM

Maybe. While you're trying the suggestions, train her to sleep on old towels or those 'pee pads' they make for cribs. Those are easy to wash/dry and will save your linens and carpet. They're pretty inexpensive. I use one folded in half for my girls when they're a bit leaky, so a spread out one should be an adequate size for a golden.

Try adding plain canned pumpkin to her diet, a couple tablespoons a day for a dog her size. Her stools may seem well formed to you, but she could be a bit constipated.

Try a different food, using both a different and novel protein and grain. One of my dogs has allergies, and at certain times of the year, her anal glands are much busier than other times.

Learn to express them yourself. Your vet should be able to show you how to do this. Wear old clothes and rubber gloves and if at all possible, do it outside with a hose handy. Makes clean up a bit easier.

Try her on a raw diet, I've heard that dogs have little to no anal gland issues on raw.

Try shampooing her hind end, especially around her anus, with an antil fungal shampoo, such as Maleseb. Shampoo at least 1/week for a month, and see if that makes a difference.

If worst comes to worst, there is a surgery. Find a vet who has done lots of them and has good results.

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3

Bottom

bail

Wed June 14, 2006 8:39 PM

hi

i am so glad i came across this post.. i to have been feeding my two beagles the Eukanuba brand.i started seeing very itchy lower backs...i switched to avoderm,,,it has avocado in it...skin seems better now.

Bottom

doggiethusiast

Wed October 04, 2006 10:05 AM

In response to "urge to herd"...our collie is on a raw food diet and still has some anal leakage from time to time. It is gross, but she seems to do her best to take care of the clean up on her own. We've never been able to find a pattern/cause for her leaking, and it seems very irregular. Luckily it hasn't really been too much of a problem so far.
----------------------
Chihuahua Lover
http://www.doggybio.com/dog_breeds/chihuahua

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >

Navigation: