Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >
Topic Title: Rotten teeth in a Sr. dog
Created On Sat September 09, 2006 2:55 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Kathryn

Sat September 09, 2006 2:55 PM

Hi There,

I'm new to the forum but am looking for a little advice on my 12 yr. old German Shepherd, Jesse.

She's in really good condition for her age and hasn't had many health problems, *knock wood*.
I've noticed in the last while that she doesn't devour her food with the same fervour that she used to. She still begs and wants her dinner, but she eats far more slowly and looks as though she's having difficulty.
I got a good look in her mouth the other day and noticed that her 2 top molar teeth are both pretty rotten looking. One also appears cracked.
I've never done any dental care for my dog such as brushing or professional dental care. She's always eaten hard food.

I will take her to the vets this week to get them looked at. We have a very nice vet but I'm not sure she's the most thorough or knowledgable.
My question for the dogowners here is, what do you think I can anticipate hearing from the vet about what we'll need to do for her???

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Kat

Bottom

Shiplesp

Sat September 09, 2006 3:49 PM

Probably a teeth cleaning and removal of any dead teeth. Dogs can get along pretty well without some of their teeth, though you may have to adjust her food if she's having trouble eating. (Premium quality canned foods are good for older dogs since they also contain more water, which is good for aging kidneys.)

Your vet will probably also do a thorough check of your dog's heart. Dental infections can be very damaging to a dog's (or a human's) heart. Knock wood there are no problems.

Good luck! Susan

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >

Navigation: