Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >
Topic Title: Dog stool has a mucousy like sac?
Created On Sat April 05, 2008 5:33 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

dach01

Sat April 05, 2008 5:33 PM

Hi, my dog has started going to the bathroom but when he goes his stool is firm but comes out with a jelly mucousy like sac around it. Can someone tell me why hes crapping like that? or what it is? thanks.

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon April 07, 2008 1:51 PM
User is offline View users profile

sometimes dogs that are de-toxing have stool w/that characteristic - but I would suggest that if this is something you have not seen before (what do u mean by "started going to the bathroom"?), and/or your dog is acting at all "differently" or seems "off", to see a <my personal suggestion would be a holistic> vet. Digestive and parasite issues could also cause this -see a vet -

-------------------------
Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Mon April 07, 2008 5:47 PM

I usually see a more mucousy appearance with the beginnings of diarrhea or some tummy upset. Though this is very dog individual I suspect. My vet used to ask if the stool appeared mucousy and I took samples in. Though this never seemed to be a diagnostic or horrifying complication. With any change I tend to call the vet and go but then I'm a little protective when it comes to doggie health. I usually notice changes from disease before the vet b/c I know my dogs well. Good luck and hope your pup is ok.

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
Humans live mostly next door
in Desperate heart
Now and then will do you good
To live in our zip code."
Trixie Koontz (the dog) from A Little Big Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
Retrievergoldengurl
NOT A BRAD PATTISON FAN since bullies are cowards in my book.
NOT A DON SULLIVAN FAN since this system advocates muzzling to humble and pain to train all things, how do I explain that to my puppy?

Bottom

sspeight

Mon April 14, 2008 3:27 PM

Giardia, a parasite, can cause mucousy stools. I'd take a fecal sample by the vets' office and have them look at it under the microscope. Have you wormed him lately??

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Tue April 15, 2008 1:37 PM

Good to know since I've had horrible problems with both dogs since moving to CO in Jan. I kept calling saying this is NOT normal and sure enough diarrhea would follow. All the vet said feeding raw was doing it but going off raw didn't change that. I knew it wasn't but felt trying would prove it and it did. They've never found Giardia in either dog but did find clostridium overgrowth. I keep asking is it possible they aren't shedding Giardia and this is a secondary symptom and it is. Though none of the vets seemed to think the mucous is a big deal or even acknowledged it was a symptom of anything. Clear association to me. The neighbor's dog just got over Giardia too. Even though their dog is free roaming and mine are not it seemed very possible I had a yard contaminated. More searching for vets seems warranted even more. Glad to see this, thanks.

We have an appointment this week with a deck company to asses decking the yard and will remove and cover the drainage impaired flagstone area. The big dog who potty's only in front hasn't gotten sick since I quit letting her go onto the flagstones. Sort of a last ditch effort to determine if this was in the yard/house and a heck of a house disinfection. Seems like the back yard is a problem. Not a cheap fix to deck but worth it. They'll get a bigger off leash area to boot so it will be nice.

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Trixie Koontz (the dog) from A Little Big Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
Retrievergoldengurl
NOT A DON SULLIVAN FAN since this system advocates muzzling to humble and pain to train all things, how do I explain that to my puppy?

Bottom

txdoglover

Thu April 17, 2008 3:57 AM

Lots of times when poop is mucousy it is hookworms or whipworms. Let them float a fecal sample and check it out.

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Fri April 18, 2008 9:33 AM

We met with a deck guy yest and he finally asked so are you building this deck for the dogs?? Well yes but we're going to be using it too. He thinks we're nuts. But then his cat has had Giardia 6 times. There has to be a point of surrender and a 3 story hillside house with two 65 pound dogs with diarrhea over and over is my surrender. He agreed about the drainage. Another midnight potty call last night and about 50 deer were standing near enough to touch the fence. I can see where the Giardia would come from. Plus my dogs are part of why we bought THIS house and the last one. Its more the norm for us after 20 years.

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Retrievergoldengurl

Bottom

sspeight

Sun April 20, 2008 12:37 PM

If it is giardia, it can be very difficult to see on fecal flotation. You need to find someone good at fecals and who knows what they look like. When I had giardia problems, I just started giving my guys Panacur for a 5 day period every 6 months, or more if needed. It seemed to work well and didn't require me going to the vets. It is sold over the counter as Safeguard. Places like Valley Vet have it in 125 mL and 1000mL bottles. Technically it is extralabel use, but I have always been told to use the liquid at 5mL per 10 lbs body weight. Might be something to think about...

Bottom

onwards1981

Sat May 31, 2008 9:29 AM

OUr 15 wk pup has a funny tummy too.. she's had diarrhea like poo off and on for awhile.. I've taken her into the vet every time and run giardia, parasite and tests but nothing... so we had her on a high fiber food with her organic kibble (Timberwolf) and it got better... but every now and then - especially after she is at daycare, she will have some loose stool for a day or so. She's not in discomfort and her poop cycle during the day is exactly the same (I think she has unlimited water and drinks unlimited water, hence the soggy stool)

One poop is firm, the next soggy, then next is stiff, the next is soggy... its like there's no telling.. but she's eating the SAME stuff....

Her loose stool looks like a pile of brown worm... then a little liquidy mucousy stuff at the end.. sorry for being so graphic.

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Sat May 31, 2008 10:15 AM

Well we bleached the entire patio deck and back I've been washing dog bedding since yesterday and disinfecting. Today the yard guy is going to just come cut the front and we'll bleach all of that. Then the house I was going to use Lysol dilute on the hardwood and immediately follow with vinegar and water. Lysol wipes on the crates and HOPEFULLY that will be that. Oh and bathe both dogs on deck and segregate potty areas until both are free of infection for a while. There's a concrete guy talking with hubby right now about replacing the lower patio flagstone area with nice drained cleanable concrete.

Yest when hubby bleached the back part of the yard he dug out all the potty box area he could. The prev owner used river rock as a potty area for her malamute. Some horrid chemical reaction went on after we sprayed that area and it was foaming and smelled awful. So my guess is that we need to line that pit and cover it and keep them out until it's concrete. I'm sure the ammonia and bleach were reacting and I'm a little disgusted. We had dug out and lined that area and filled it with bark mulch but obviously snow melt and rain could have breached our barrier.

Hopefully after all this we'll end up with chapped hands and healthy dogs. Indeed Giardia must be hard to pick up on a fecal. The clostridium is a naturally occurring bacteria so we can't rid them of it and it's only a symptom of what's going on. We need to get to the cause of the overgrowth though and eliminate it. Bacterial death will hopefully be had at the end of the day. That and clean fuzzy Goldens are always fun to snuggle with.

I may look into the panacur...they've been through one round already with this.

As for the changing stool you could try adding a little pumpkin to their food, our vet suggested when we started getting some weird changes. It does have fiber and they like it.

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Retrievergoldengurl

Edited: Sat May 31, 2008 at 10:17 AM by retrievergoldengurl

Bottom

RottieWoman

Sat May 31, 2008 10:44 AM

onwards1981.........not trying to be a meanie, but just fyi, Timberwolf Organics is not organic - unless they've changed their recipe in the last few months altogether. Am glad you got good results w/it, but just because a product says "organic" in the name, does not make them so. "Natural" and "organic" and "antibiotic/hormone-free" are not interchangeable/the same thing.

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

mteacup

Mon October 06, 2008 12:57 PM

Gross subject... I noticed one of Olive's poops last week was totally incased in a mucousy like sac. Very odd. My dog walker mentioned this about a month ago as well. I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach. If I see it again, I'll take it in to the vet to be tested. Any thoughts? What I've found so far is vague and suggests worms or colitis.

Mary

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon October 06, 2008 1:12 PM

mucos-y poo can occur occur w/detox, when a dog is going from processed to raw or home-prepared. But what you see could mean a few different things - are u aware of anything in Olive's environment that has changed recently? Has she gotten any different foods, walked in a new area, etc.?

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon October 06, 2008 1:13 PM

oh-how does the actual poop look like in the sac?

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

mteacup

Mon October 06, 2008 1:19 PM

it looked normal besides being incased. Ick. I probably should have brought it the vet...

I have started adding home cooked food to her kibble (natures variety). Usually 1/4 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup cooked meat (can't do raw ick) and 1/4-1/2 cup of cooked veggies. Vet just had me started adding 1/2 cup pumpkin and I can't remember the name - fiber supplement. Sometimes I add yogurt or cottage cheese.

Mary

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon October 06, 2008 1:39 PM

mteacup, possibly u could withdraw the dairy and see if that changes anything - many to most dogs, while they may like dairy, can't actually digest it well. You could try white as opposed to brown rice -I know that <whole> brown is better for people but remember that we are able to utilize grains and other starches in a way that dogs can't. Brown is higher in fiber but white is easier to digest and is often recommended for "bland" diets. On the other hand, you could try quinoa instead of rice at all which is a minimal gluten, high-fiber AND protein grain which some dogs do better on than other grains (at this moment considered more "hypo-allergenic" than rice as it so far is a novel carb source).
You could also give it about two weeks as long as the poop itself is good and she is acting "normally" to see if it actually IS a detox (detoxing usually clears up within a matter of time as the body gets rid of the toxins and adjusts itself, if it's something else, the symptoms may very well not).

Best Wishes!

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon October 06, 2008 1:42 PM

Another thought - you could switch to goat's milk as opposed to cows - many people and dogs who still have problems with cow's milk yogurt (many individuals can do yogurt/kefir in general but not milk/cream) can do dairy products from goats. The proteins are better assimilated. If you can get ahold of either RAW goat or cow's milk in your area that may be even better.

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

mteacup

Mon October 06, 2008 2:19 PM

Thanks Rotty Mommy! I will try making some adjustments and monitor :-)

Olive is a big grass eater as well but she started doing that before I started adding cooked food.

Mary

Bottom

schmoo

Tue October 07, 2008 3:40 PM

my dog's poop gets that mucuosy coating when he is having diarrhea. He often gets either giardia or else "bacterial overgrowth" - according to our vet the latter is very normal it's just that for some dogs it causes diarrhea and for others it's no big deal. I would just take a stool sample to the vet and ask them to check it for parasites or bacterial overgrowth. (I am SO GLAD that I do not work as a vet tech! those people should be given medals!)

Bottom

mteacup

Thu October 09, 2008 12:28 PM

I think something more is going on now. Olive pooped 6 times yesterday, 2 of those times were in the house. Part of it is the fiber the vet had me add. I didn't give her any today and we'll see what happens. There appears to be some mucous still. I'm thinking Giardia, maybe.

Mary

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >

Navigation: