Links open in new window.

THE TOOLBOX FOR BUILDING A GREAT FAMILY DOG
by Terry Ryan

DO OVER DOGS - GIVE YOUR DOG A SECOND CHANCE FOR A FIRST CLASS LIFE
by Pat Miller

FOCUSED PUPPY
by Deb Jones and Judy Keller

MINDING YOUR DOG BUSINESS - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO BUSINESS SUCCESS FOR DOG PROFESSIONALS
by Veronica Boutelle and Rikke Jorgensen

UNLOCKING THE CANINE ANCESTRAL DIET - HEALTHIER DOG FOOD THE ABC WAY
by Steve Brown

DOMINANCE THEORY AND DOGS, 2ND EDITION
by James O'Heare

CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION
by Patricia McConnell

KIDS AND DOGS - A PROFESSIONAL'S GUIDE TO HELPING FAMILIES
by Colleen Pelar

Navigation:

FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >
Topic Title: Neosporin OK?
Created On Mon August 11, 2008 6:51 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

onwards1981

Mon August 11, 2008 6:51 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hi All

Just wondering if its OK to use neosporin on dogs topically? Every now and then Feebs has a heat rash and I put some on her belly (she doesn't lick it off) to help the rash go away. It seems to work.

I noticed last night that she has some sore patches between her toes. Like she got itchy there and started licking but the moisture had nowhere to go kind of sore. So I put some neosporin on a q-tip and swabbed her toes, pads with it.Again, she didn't lick it off but she was a little annoyed with me because I think it stung a little when I put it on.

I put some on again this morning... it seems to help (less pink). This time I gave her a treat while I put it on and she was OK with that. Again, she didn't eat/lick any off. (It might be fungal but I figured I'd try neosporin first and see if it works to get rid of it)

I also read about colloidal silver. Hs anyone used it? I read about it in Animal Wellness magazine. Te link they gave is www.harmonixtherapy.com and the article says you can use it topically for fungi, abrasions etc.

Thank you!

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Mon August 11, 2008 1:08 PM

I've taken and read about colloidal silver and finally decided after much research that there is no medical proof that it does anything. I would check with a vet though if you want to use it. Since dogs weigh so much less than us it could be dangerous or be some compound they cannot tolerate like the xylitol or theobromide.

Usually all the docs I see suggest polysporin since some people and animals can be allergic to the neo part of neosproin. The last time I used it on a dog-the vet suggested I not let her lick it. So I would check and see if there might be something better to apply and what might be causing the problem. There are better things for heat rash that might be less problematic if licked like products for babies etc. Even plain zinc oxide like for diaper rashes and heat rashes on infants. There is also a dog specific spray for doggie rashes or hot spots that works better depending on cause. If it's on her paws it might be allergies. Dogs also lick their paws and front legs instead of having human hayfever symptoms.

I know I know more trips to the vet and more $$$$. Isn't that how it always goes. We had to rush to the Vet Saturday b/c puppy did something to her eye. I thought she had scratched the cornea-she couldn't open her eye. I squirted her with saline which was not popular but I got a huge hunk of fur out from between her nictating membrane and cornea. Her eye was blood red. Thank goodness it was probably the hair and no injury so just more $$$$$. Aye!

-------------------------
"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
Humans live mostly next door
in Desperate heart
Now and then will do you good
To live in our zip code."
Trixie Koontz (the dog) from A Little Big Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
Retrievergoldengurl
NOT A BRAD PATTISON FAN since bullies are cowards in my book.
NOT A DON SULLIVAN FAN since this system advocates muzzling to humble and pain to train all things, how do I explain that to my puppy?

Bottom

RottieWoman

Mon August 11, 2008 2:42 PM

Am glad puppy's eye okay, RGG!!

Rottie Mommy in WI - USA

Bottom

Ollie and Augie

Mon August 11, 2008 3:32 PM

I don't think neosporin is dangerous if she's not ingesting it, but if the rash is an irritation or a fungal infection, I don't think the neosporin itself is doing anything helpful other than preventing her from licking herself and further irritating the area. Antibiotics only work on bacteria, not fungi.

Quackwatch article on colloidal silver:
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

I think it is still used to treat burns because of it's antibiotic properties (I was given silver sulfadine to use on a serious burn years ago), but that doesn't make it a cure-all, or something to use long term or without medical supervision.

aka "Beth"

- but I AM a Dr. Vickery fan

"Some people just need to be bitten"
-MMC, CPDT

Bottom

onwards1981

Mon August 11, 2008 3:52 PM

Is it OK for me to use a human anti-fungal cream? Like an over the counter thing? (So long as she doesn't lick it?)

She hasn't licked her feet all day so I think it's helping... I'll put some more on tonight and see tomorrow..

Thanks!!

Bottom

Shiplesp

Mon August 11, 2008 5:09 PM

If the irritation doesn't clear soon, particularly if Feeby isn't licking/irratating it, you'll need to check with your vet. There are any number of things it could be (bacterial, fungal, mites, etc.), that you're better off knowing what you're dealing with than treating it in a hit or miss way. I know. Another vet bill. But what can you do? Here's hoping it clears soon!

Susan

Bottom

FrenchBulldogLover

Mon August 11, 2008 9:22 PM

I used colloidal silver on my little girls mange as a last resort. And I believe it is a main reason it finally went away. I put it in a small spray bottle and applied it everyday.

I am no doctor though, This is just my experience with colloidal silver.
I'm a believer!

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Tue August 12, 2008 7:10 AM

That's good to hear about the CS. As a human taking it orally it seemed to have no proof of efficacy. I didn't think about nor did I research topical. I dunno though if this is on her paws that's a big place mange starts depending on the type. I think I would find out what it is at the vet before putting anything else on it. If it's allergy then benadryl or something oral might be more effective and safer. Again with the wallet drain, sorry. With the belly and the paws could it be grass allergy???

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Trixie Koontz (the dog) from A Little Big Life, A Memoir of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz
Retrievergoldengurl
NOT A DON SULLIVAN FAN since this system advocates muzzling to humble and pain to train all things, how do I explain that to my puppy?

Edited: Tue August 12, 2008 at 7:13 AM by retrievergoldengurl

Bottom

chihuahua

Tue August 12, 2008 8:18 AM

I have often wondered about neosporin as well, but never used it.

My Lab has paw licking and my vet said to just soak them in a mild dishwashing liquid and water. It helps when I do it but it is not an easy thing to convicnce my 90 pound lab to soak his paws.

Judy Rentrop
CPDT-KA
WWW.Brownsvilledogtrainer.com
Chihuahuas are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Tue August 12, 2008 6:44 PM

Soaking a big dogs paws would be like some kind of water torture for humans. OMG. I sympathize. I thought eye drops for puppy were bad enough.

I just pictured Madge saying relax it's Palmolive!! For those old enough to remember. LOL

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Retrievergoldengurl

Edited: Wed August 13, 2008 at 8:29 AM by retrievergoldengurl

Bottom

onwards1981

Wed August 13, 2008 5:15 AM

Well the neosporin seems to work - the pus is gone (there was a layer of pus/slime on top of her sore patch) and the color is lightening - less and less pink.

I figured out how to apply it too to make her easy.

I have Dave hold a treat in his fist so she can lick it, smell it but can't eat it. This distracts her so I swab in between her toes with a q-tip with neosporin slathed all over it. She doesn't lick it off - its just the initial "shock" of something being inserted between her toes that seems to startle her.

The vet called me and said the neosporin should work but if not, its OK to use polysporin. BUT don't use the CS - the vet wants to examine Feebs if we want to use the CS. Since the neosporin works though I don't think we'll need to bring her in. I'll keep putting on the NS and monitor.

Bottom

retrievergoldengurl

Wed August 13, 2008 12:35 PM

Just a note of interest since it's a subject I've been dealing with I thought of Feeby. Hope she's getting better still.

http://dogcentral.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5287514

"Dogs live most of life
in Quiet Heart
in Desperate heart
Retrievergoldengurl

Bottom

WoundExpert

Tue July 31, 2012 7:12 AM

Do not use Neosporin on Dogs, or other pets for that matter! It is dangerous if they lick it off, and there is no guarantee that it will do anything. Use a product that is specifically for animals, and will actually heal the wound. Wounds heal from the inside out and dogs need a product that will penetrate the wound bed to stimulate healing regardless if they rub or lick it off. Neosporin is just a topical antibiotic. Try Humane Healing

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Health, Wellness and Nutrition < refresh >

Navigation: