Publisher: Dogwise Publishing
Edition: 2009 Paperback, 150 pages
Ships the next business day.
Summary: (SLIGHT COVER WEAR.) Jean Donaldson is dogdom’s most influential dog trainer and behaviorist and a best selling author. In 41 essays, Jean highlights the common and frequently wrong-headed notions people have about why dogs behave the way they do, and explains what really motivates your pooch and how to change behavior. The new edition is substantially updated with many new essays that are sure to both inform and delight you.
$10.95 - 27% off
(SLIGHT COVER WEAR.)But people are on another planet!
Dogdom’s most influential dog trainer and behaviorist, Jean Donaldson, is back with a newly revised and expanded edition of her popular Dogs Are From Neptune. In 41 essays, Jean highlights the common and frequently wrong-headed notions people have about why dogs behave the way they do, and explains what really motivates your pooch and how to change behavior. Jean’s innovative ideas are delivered via quirky and witty—but always scientifically based—essays that will help create “Aha!” moments for every dog lover on earth. If you loved Jean’s best selling The Culture Clash, you will enjoy learning more about the dogs who inhabit planet Neptune and the people who don’t!
Your dog is from Neptune—narrow the gap by learning more about:
• The truth—and power—of consequences and how you can use them to train your dog.
• The best ways to deal with common problem behaviors including resource guarding, separation anxiety and fear.
• Why you should be skeptical of anyone whose training techniques and philosophies sound appealing but cannot be backed up with scientific evidence.
• Dispelling common myths associated with using food in training, dominance and whether playing tug with your dog really encourages aggression.
• While we may be on different planets, learn how the fundamentals of behavior often apply equally to dogs and people.
• Why it seems that owners become more attentive trainers when they dress their dogs in costumes!
What experts are saying about Dogs Are From Neptune
Jean Donaldson shows how using positive training methods instead of force can solve the most frequently encountered behavioral and emotional problems in dogs. Written with flair and examples from many case studies it is also a delight to read.
Stanley Coren, author of The Modern Dog and Why Does My Dog Act That Way?
Jean has done it again! Her astute grasp of behavior, combined with her wry sense of humor and engaging story-telling style, has given us a new edition of Neptune that is sure to offer fresh insights to even the most seasoned dog behavior specialists.
Pamela Reid, PhD, CAAB, author of Excel-Erated Learning
Author Jean Donaldson has over 30 years experience in dog behavior and training and is the Founder and Director of the San Francisco SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers. Jean’s award winning books include The Culture Clash and Oh Behave! She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her Chow, Buffy. Visit www.jeandonaldson.com to keep up to date with Jean and her work.
Click here to view an excerpt.