When Hannah Branigan began training her first dog for obedience competition, she wanted to play the game but train using positive reinforcement. She quickly discovered that traditional methods weren’t for her and that she had to throw out the old playbook. “Clicker trainers like me look at the problem completely differently,” she says. “We break down skills into easily mastered bits and pieces that we then link into behavior chains to produce flashy heeling and snappy drops on recall.”
Hannah built a new training program from the ground up. The results were awesome. Her dogs have competed successfully at the national level, earning High-in-Trial awards and advanced titles through several organizations. These strategies have transformed training for hundreds of teams, who also believe in the power of positive reinforcement and good training practices. In Awesome Obedience, Hannah lays out all the components to build the behaviors needed to go as far in obedience training as you want.
• How to create a happy, reliable partner using motivational games
• Where to put your efforts (hint: not in Fronts and Finishes)
• How the mechanics of exercises affect training
• How to fine-tune your dog’s arousal level for maximum performance
• How to train your dog to ignore ring distractions (like that judge following you around)
• How to train the critical, unscored transition portion of your performance between exercises
• Most of all, how to have a blast with your dog while you train
“Hannah’s observation skills are razor sharp, and she is able to break down complex behaviors into small pieces to readily teach the human and the animal. She explains succinctly what each student needs to do to maximize success, making the learning experience energizing and fun.” —Lynn Rives, student
Hannah Branigan applies a background in human sports and biology to the world of animal training and canine competitive sports. She has titled dogs in obedience, agility, conformation, Schutzhund, and rally. Hannah is a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner (KPA CTP), a KPA faculty member, a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, and a Certified Professional Dog Trainer. A popular speaker, she teaches workshops all over the country. A self-proclaimed training nerd, Hannah hosts the popular, award-winning podcast, Drinking from the Toilet, and has received rave reviews for her competition obedience DVDs.