In Advanced Retriever Training, experienced trainer, competitor and judge, Laura Hill, takes a holistic approach to training and living with working retriever breeds. Whether your aim is to reach competition level or simply to troubleshoot your training practices, this book is the ideal follow-on to the basic commands and handling skills already established.
Insightful and in-depth coverage includes:
• Reanalysing the basic pillars of breeding, feeding and training
• Examining your own behaviour and the effect it has on your dog
• Identifying your dog's psychological needs and tailoring your training accordingly
• Key approaches to successful retriever work with positive, reward-based methods
• Training planning and management
• An advanced approach to training essentials, including heelwork, marking, blind retrieves and navigating barriers
• Establishing and maintaining an enjoyable partnership with your dog
Laura Hill is founder and owner of Stauntonvale gundogs. She has been a regular member of the England Gundog team, competing in retriever field trials and working tests. She is a field trial panel judge and has judged and trained in the UK and Europe.