Puppy Socialization: What It Is and How to Do It defines and demystifies the most important thing you can do for your puppy: socialization. The authors don't just tell you what you need to know about socialization. They show you with dozens of photographs and exclusive linked videos (a live internet connection is needed to view the videos). You'll see other owners socialize their puppies under the guidance of a nationally certified dog trainer and behavior consultant. These real-life examples of socialization show you what to do when things go well and when they don't go so well.
You’ll learn about:
• The magical time. Did you know that there is a special time in a puppy's life when he is primed to accept new things? The authors tell you when that time is, when that socialization window starts closing, and how a little effort by an owner during that time can save heartache later.
• Canine body language. Puppies and dogs are talking all the time—with their body language. Learn to tell when a puppy or dog is relaxed and happy, a bit nervous about something, or outright fearful.
• Myth-busting. There's a lot of advice out there about socialization and not all of it is good. Some common myths can actually cause a puppy harm. The authors give you the most up-to-date information on puppy socialization and put some harmful myths to rest.
• Socializing a puppy during COVID-19. Puppies have so much to get used to: people, environments, noises, and more. The authors provide strategies for keeping humans and puppies safe while socializing puppies, even during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• What supplies are needed during socialization. The authors provide checklists of things owners need when socializing a puppy at home and away from home.
What experts are saying about Puppy Socialization:
Dr. Sara Bennett, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, says, “This book is a great resource for any new pet parent. The information is based in the most up-to-date evidence-based science of behavior and learning. It is also presented in an upbeat and easy-to-understand manner, with a healthy dose of real-world stories that helps the reader connect with the authors.”
Leslie McDevitt, renowned behavior consultant, trainer, and author of the Control Unleashed series of books and DVDs, says, “This is the most definitive resource on all things Socialization that you could ever ask for.”
Dr. Karen London, dog behaviorist and author of Treat Everyone Like a Dog, says, “I’m hopeful that this book will be widely read, and its advice followed. It’s the perfect resource for everyone who has anything to do with raising well-adjusted, happy puppies, and its publication is good news all around.”
Dr. Alanna Lowry, veterinarian and nationally ranked dog agility competitor, says, “Up until now, a comprehensive guide to this essential task has been lacking. … Your puppy deserves the best start in life. This book allows you to provide it!”
The authors teamed up to share this information with readers because most people don't know exactly what socialization is or how to do it. And both of them see the fallout of socialization gone wrong all the time.
Rogers and Anderson each bring their own perspective to this groundbreaking work. Rogers is certified through the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers as a Dog Trainer and also a Behavior Consultant. She specializes in behavior modification for fearful and aggressive dogs and the prevention of fear and aggression through socialization. Anderson is an award-winning writer who is passionate about giving owners accurate information so they can make informed training choices. Together they created this unique, visual guide of the realm of puppy socialization. Every reader will learn something new.
Book chapters are:
1. Socialization: Things to Know Before You Get Started
2. Pairing and Priorities
3. How Puppies Learn and How Socialization Fits In
4. Understanding Dog Body Language
5. Socialization! Starting at Home
6. Socialization Away from Home
7. Fear and Special Challenges
8. What’s Next?
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Superb, clearly-explained, confidence-inspiring, vital resource for people with young puppies